Thursday 3 July 2014

Strictly Anyone Can Come Dancing

Photo by J Tully
Rye’s dancers young and old, experienced or complete novices can look forward to Rye Arts Festival in September when latin
dancing is on the cards. And plenty of it, with special workshops and performances for both Argentine Tango and Flamenco!

Sunday 14th September is when leading Argentine Tango instructors Alan Mitchell and Ella Sharp will be holding an afternoon workshop in this most steamy and sexually charged of dances, which will be open to complete beginners, improvers and those who have been ‘resting’ for a while and would like to make a comeback.


In the evening there will be a Tango Milonga, with Los Mareados, the UK’s top tango quintet playing fabulous music and dancers will be able to go through their paces as Rye Community Centre becomes a night club in a working class Buenos Aires barrio. And those who don’t want to dance but who would like to simply watch the dancers and listen to the fantastic music at either or both of the two sessions will be able to buy tickets.

And Wednesday 17th September there will be a similar format for Flamenco dancing. In the afternoon there will be a workshop help by Duende Flamenco, a troupe comprising guitarists, percussion, dancers and singers. Unlike the argentine tango programme, the evening will be strictly for the professionals as Duende Flamenco will be performing ‘Lament for Lorca’ – a celebration of the life of 20th century Spanish poet and playwright through dance, song and music.

Geoff Boudreau, who is organising the events for the 43rd annual Rye Arts Festival says: “Rye has a great dancing tradition – Jo Fletcher is holding her annual Rye Dance Centre Showtime as part of the Festival, which will once again showcase the talents of our youngsters. Jo has been teaching in Rye for 33 years, so I am sure there will be many of her dance alumni who will want to come along and take part in the flamenco and argentine tango workshops and performances.

“Since my days of even attempting to challenge Vincent Simeoni as the UK’s foremost Argentine Tango dancer are long gone, I won’t be ‘throwing shapes’ on the dance floor, but I am really looking forward to watching Ryers young and old learning and then taking part in the Argentine Tango show! And I’m sure many other people will also just want to come along to watch the dancing and listen to the fabulous live music.

“The Festival isn’t officially launched until 13th July and the Box Office doesn’t open its doors till early August, but it’s never too early to get started learning the Cambio de Peso and the Sandwich or El Songucheto for the Argentine Tango, and practicing Flamenco finger clicks. If nothing else, have a go at being hot and fiery or haughty and strong – vital for both dances. My Saturday lad at Grammar School Records is certainly well fired up with latin attitude!

11 comments:

  1. Maurice D'Anceur (646675)7 July 2014 at 01:02

    I will be leaving Ford Open Prison aka the Arundel Travel Lodge shortly and Rye is only a hop and a skip away. I have a vision for the world's first Morris rock opera " Cloggs on the Cobbles". As well as stalwarts like Fan and Dan Gho, I've discovered Thai sisters (I think) Po and Go Gho. You should see their hips sway. I have an elderly drummer Rin Gho, keen but a bit amateurish and the fabulous Lady Gaga on vocals. She's gone vegan so let the butcher know we wont need our usual order of Flank. We'd love to debut our little piece at the Rye Festival. In our experience a knowledgeable and welcoming crowd.
    Block book the George we're coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sir Rock D'Anceur7 July 2014 at 02:20

    Maurice, when I heard you were doing 'Time' I thought you were engaged in a revival of said musical in Pompey. I know how you love a sailor audience! I hope I misread your post as I've not seen Lady GoGo D'Anceur for a while - I thought she was trying to climb the slippery pole of politics with a private booth show called the Lib Lap Pact.

    I've been passing my time gainfully the last few months as the body double for the star in a new biopic on Johnny Halliday directed by Gerard Depardieu that we've been filming. It involves a tour across Europe in one of those American military vehicles (favoured by Pimps and footballers) with elderly confreres like Sacha Distel, Plastic Bertrand and the tennis player Francoise Durr - it's Called: 'Hummer Halliday'.

    Loving your new project - have you thought of engaging our distant cousin Nick Clogg-D'Anceur? He's into the Liberal arts and loves a coalition of all the talents?

    I'd sign up Amber from Camber to whip him into shape!

    Best
    Sir Rock D'Anceur

    PS Have you seen or heard from Lady GoGo D'Anceur recently?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul Rhumplitz7 July 2014 at 02:28

    Maurice, It will be electric, so frantically hectic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maurice D'Anceur7 July 2014 at 07:24

    Sadly not heard from her Ladyship. Last I heard she had checked into a clinic in San Francisco. She mis-heard it was the heart of silicone valley. I don't thing her cleavage will ever recover; mind you she now has no problem with wi-fi coverage.
    I will look up old Cleggy-Cloggs D'Anceur. I've heard he'll soon have a lot of time on his hands, well that's what Chris,his old driver said in mindfulness classes last year.
    Maurice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yoh! Maurice and Sir Rock, great to hear the D'Anceurs haven't soft shoe shuffled off as yet. How're you doing?

    Like Maurice I've been working since the Fall on a new project. Remember Torville and Dean? Well I've worked up a 90-minute spectacular bhangra extended version of Bolero on rollerblades. My people have been talking to their people behind the scenes, but I can let you know that I might be getting Pete Crouch and Dwayne Rooney in the lead roles. I hear the former throws great shapes and the latter is a big hit with the older generation.
    Whaddya think?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maurice D'Anceur (646675)8 July 2014 at 07:57

    I'd have gone for Crouch and Mo Farah instead, the Robot Mobot
    I know Rock was trying to put together a show for Pontins this summer.
    Latin dancing lessons from celebs. Amber and Fabrice Muamba teach Samba in Camber. All were keen except Pontins. I'll get Rock to write to the Rye Festival Committee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul Rhumplitz8 July 2014 at 08:14

      You sure Pontins' reluctance wasn't because "The man in the back said everyone attack!"

      Delete
  7. Maurice D'Anceur9 July 2014 at 02:22

    Paul
    Pontins were worried about the thunder and lightning as it's very very frightening for their younger guests.
    Sweet of you to ask though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paul Rhumplitz9 July 2014 at 07:53

    Maurice, my dreams are getting so strange I'd like to tell you everything I see. I have a penetrating question: are you into The Queen?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maurice D'Anceur10 July 2014 at 11:19

    Paul,
    Yes I admit to a soft spot for Queen. Freddie was so hot,
    as a matter of fact his eyes are as red as the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maurice D'Anceur10 July 2014 at 11:22

    Paul, Yes I must admit to carrying a torch for Queen and Freddie in particular, as a matter of fact his eyes are as red as the sun.

    ReplyDelete